Wednesday, February 4, 2009

With One Magic Word

The candidacy of Barack Obama was probably the greatest social experiment in the history of America.


I have written about the transformative power that Obama's presidency can have on America's youth and especially upon young Black men. And while this new reality is a positive; I have noticed something in regard to this that may not be so productive.

Many parents have talked about how Obama is a welcome alternative to the rappers and musicians who act as role models. In President Obama, their children now have someone proper to look up to.


While having a Black president as an example of achievement is certainly welcome, I think there is a misguided rush to diminish the lives and accomplishments of others while pointing toward Obama.

In all honesty I have found myself doing the same thing.


Since the election, every time a child has expressed a problem, acted up, or dismissed the role of education I have simply replied with " Obama". It has become almost like a magic word at this point. The mere mention of Obama is supposed to automatically instill discipline, ambition and a general sense of well-being.

While using the Obama tactic I noticed that I was no longer concerning myself with the feelings, background or temperament of the children I was addressing; but rather looking up at the peak where President Obama now resides.

There is an importance to individuality and the path not taken. I am not referring to this as a means to excuse irresponsibility or bad behavior but simply as recognition that it is almost always a mistake to live one's life as a carbon copy of someone Else's.

So as great as President Obama's journey has been, it is HIS journey. That means we have to nurture the youth to become the best versions of what they aspire to be and not legions of the next Obama.

1 comment:

Luthor said...

Now I'm envisioning a new Black version of Billy Batson, who's turns into Captain Hope when he shouts the magic word: "OBAMA!"