Thursday, January 3, 2008

It's On

Barack Obama just won the Iowa Caucus.

Now when the Obama campaign began with the slogan of "The Audacity of Hope" my immediate response was a synical "Another Jackson run". Obama would run as a means of inspiration with no chance of winning despite the multi-million dollar war-chest and the blessings of Oprah. While I still feel the same way; his victory tonight has stripped me of the cynicism I once had.

To make it plain, I don't believe that America is ready for the paradigm shift that would have to occur in order to elect a Black man as the leader of the free world. With that said, I am very much excited and intrigued by how close Obama can get to that unthinkable goal. With Hillary coming in 3rd the coronation is officially over and the bloodfeud that I was expecting is about to begin.

The opportunity to see 'The First Black President" and she-Clinton battle with Obama over who is more authentically Black in places like South Carolina and elsewhere is pay-per view worthy. The possibility that the euphoria of tonight's victory turns into stoic pragmatism amongst White voters as we get closer to November is also a point of interest.

The closest we have been to anything like this was the possibility of Colin Powell running for President. While Powell would win in all of the hypothetical matchups, his viability as a real candidate was never put the test. With Obama, there is something tangible to put all of that prior speculation to the test.

The Audacity Of Hope, while I am not a believer; I am a lot more open to being converted.

No comments: